Friday, September 18, 2009

Spencer Jay Higbee

The short story for those who are not into details: I finally went into labor on my own Tuesday the 8th around 3 or so. We went to the Hospital around 6:00. Around 8:00 I was at 3 cm and by about 11:45 I was 10 cm and ready to push! Spencer was finally born at 1:01 am on 9/9/09. After an episiotomy and a 3rd degree tare, he came out in one big gush! He is the most amazing thing I have ever seen and words cannot describe how much we love this little boy!
The Long story for those who are into details: On Tuesday, September 8th I was 11 days overdue. I went into the midwife for a checkup and I was still at 1 ½ cm, maybe 2cm. I had been that way for about 3 weeks. So the midwife decided that it was time to induce. They would have done it sooner but I really wanted to hold out and induce only if there was a medical need. But at that point I decided it was the best thing to do. SO, we set it up that I would go into the hospital that night at 6:00 pm and have a cervical ripener over night and see if that would start me into labor. If that didn’t start me into labor by 6:00 am on Wednesday morning they would start me on Pitocin. I wasn’t crazy about the idea but felt like it was the right things to do. THEN I started into labor on my own Tuesday afternoon around 3:00!! I couldn’t believe it!! How ironic!! We still went into the Hospital at 6:00 pm but I was already in labor so we didn’t have to do any of the planed stuff! At about 7:00 pm I was at 2 ½ cm so they had me walk the halls a bit. By 8:00 pm I was 3 cm so things were moving along. By 9:00 I was at a 5! My mom and both of my sisters got the Hospital around this time. They were the greatest support team and I couldn’t have done it without them. Around 11:45 I was fully dilated and started pushing. I had really intense back labor and so pushing was such a relief to my back!! I pushed for what felt like a pretty long time. Around 12:45 am or so my midwife started to get a little worried (thank goodness I had no idea about this until after the baby was born) because the baby was crowing for so long but not coming out! So she ended up giving me an episiotomy and I got a 3rd degree tare (which I didn’t even feel at the time…I just wanted that baby OUT!). Once I had the episiotomy the baby came out in one big gush…not like you see normally, you know, oh look, there is the head, then another push and out comes the body…he just gushed out at 1:01 am! The midwife didn’t even catch him; he just flopped out onto the bed!! WOW! It was the most amazing feeling; I can’t even begin to explain! They had to hurry and cut the cord and get him onto the table to check him. I didn’t get to have him on my belly or anything because they were worried about him. A lot of meconium had come out towards the end and they put oxygen on me (again I am so glad I didn’t realize all of this until after it was over. I would have freaked out and not been able to do what I needed to do). But he was just fine! Healthy and screaming! Nate stayed right by his side while they stitched me up (Not fun!). Then I got to hold him for the first time and I just melted! He is the most amazing thing I have ever seen! So, there is the long story. Things worked out different from what I had envisioned but they all worked out and he is here healthy and safe and that is all that matters! I was able to do the birth unmediated and that is what I really wanted. I know I couldn’t have done it without Nate, my mom and my sisters and lots of help from Heaven!!! What an amazing experience.
Our first family picture Daddy and his boy
Mommy and her baby (note:that is a tan bra, I am not flashing you!)
Look at all that hair!! I was totally ready for a dark haired baby! All the nurses couldn't stop talking about it. Of course they all thought he was so cute...who wouldn't :)

Little Boy Blue

My sisters
The proud Grandma! My most amazing Mom!

14 comments:

Katie said...

Wow Tami! He is so cute! I can't get over all that blonde hair! Congratulations!

Lesley said...

First of all, he is INCREDIBLY CUTE! I have never see a blond baby with SO MUCH HAIR!

Second, but more importantly, WAY TO GO TAMI! Okay, I am done with caps.

I was so thrilled to hear that you were waiting for your body to go into labor on its own. I am so glad you had a supportive midwife and that Spencer was willing to come before any interventions had to happen. Even if it was only right before!

Your labor and delivery sound perfect (minus the tearing. yikes. but imagine what would have happened if you had an epidural and couldn't have pushed as well?) Congratulations on a handsome boy!

PS I think the picture of Spencer and Nate is adorable.

Okay, enough from me. :)

The Laters said...

He is such a cutie! Wow what a trooper you are! That labor sounded intense! Congrats!

Chandra said...

Congrats! He is so cute!

Melanie said...

Tami, I cannot get over how cute he is. He's just perfect. Way to go, you! Let me know if you need anything. We're very close. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness those pictures made me cry!!! I especially LOVE the picture of you and Spencer, absolutely beautiful! I'm so very happy for you and Nate. I can't wait to spend more time with you guys and snuggle with that sweet boy! Talk to you soon, take care! We love you guys :)

scottandkira said...

Oh wow Tami. He is adorable. So much hair, just like Kaden. I'm so glad you had a good experience. I'm sorry you tore though. I had a 2nd degree tare which didn't bother me a ton until it started to heal. =) hehe. It sucked. GOOD LUCK healing. I hope you heal faster than I did and with much less discomfort. Love ya. Congrats! Little boys are wonderful.

Laura said...

He is SOOOOO adorable! What an amazing birth--I am so proud of you and Nate :)

Pallas said...

Congrats Tami! He is so beautiful! I am so happy for you!!!

Nicole said...

Oh my gosh! What a doll! He is so adorable! I'm glad things went okay for you guys. One question: did you have an epidural?

Tami said...

no epidural

Charlotte said...

Congrats! I'm glad he finally made it.

Ali Ann said...

He is a cute for sure. Congrats:)

Candi said...

He is super adorable! I can't believe all that blonde hair! Let me know when you're up for visitors so we can come meet him :)